19 June 2009

More reflections on community

You know what no one talks about? The dark side of community. The fact that when you're in it, you get hurt by the people who are in it with you. Oh, I know it's inevitable. People are fallible, no one's perfect, we all make mistakes - all of these things mean the same thing, which is that when we're vulnerable we're going to get hurt sometimes. But it sucks, you know?

If you're doing community right, then you're completely immersing yourself in the lives of everyone who's doing the community thing along with you. The more you know someone, the more you care for them...the more effect they have on your emotions. If someone on the street called me a bitch (this has happened before), I wouldn't even care. They don't know me. But if a dear friend tells me I'm a bitch, I'm more likely to believe it. They know me deeply and have reasons for believing that. (I may wonder why I'm close friends with someone who would call me a bitch, but whatever).

No one in my community has called me a bitch (that I know of), so this isn't directed at anyone. These are just the risks we take when we immerse ourselves in the lives of others. Jesus knew all about betrayal. He knew it was coming from Judas, but he still loved him before, during, and after that kiss. Is the pain and vulnerability inevitable? Of course. Is it worth it? Absolutely.

On a lighter note, I'm heading over to The Parsonage on Saturday to do some good ol' manual labor on the house. I'm not one for this type of stuff--I hate sweating, I hate getting dirty, I know nothing about fixing up a house...basically, I'm useless. But I'm going to try. If you live in the area, you should come out and help. (Bonus--you'll get to see me make a fool out of myself with a hammer!)

1 comment:

  1. I'll be making a fool of myself, too--I'm equally useless, being the sort that requires constant supervision if I'm not going to just spend the time staring blankly at the house, and thus defeating the purpose of my helping (since overseeing me is a job in itself).

    I like the way you tease out the paradox and mystery inherent in the way we are going to be deliberately seeking out conflict--because, yes, Rob's made it quite clear that's what we're going to be doing.

    ReplyDelete